Saturday, July 4, 2009

life development plan

between my career development plan, the imbos, and project deadlines, i have a pretty solid idea what i'm doing at work each week/month/quarter. however, it just occurred to me that i don't have as good a "life development plan".

up to this point in life, things were pretty well defined for me. go to college, go to grad school, find a job, get married, buy a house, etc. now i am free to do anything i want, and i feel a little lost. outside the context of work, what do i see myself in 5 years, or 10 years? what is my purpose in life?

yesterday my dad attended his coworker's funeral, who died of burst aneurysm at the tender age of 43. has he accomplished what he wanted out of life? we always think we have time, we'll get to it, but do we really?

i like this quote from robert heinlein: "in the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it.". seems appropriate to end with it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment